What Dressing Like a Sorority Girl Has Taught Me

Hey y'all!

One of the best decisions I made when I first came to college was joining a sorority. I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta at the University of Alabama. I absolutely love being a part of this sisterhood and it has taught me so much about myself. I have learned patience, confidence and how to love others. But dressing like a "typical sorority girl" has taught me a few things too.



1. The uglier the footwear, the comfier it is.
Chacos? Check. Birkenstocks? Check. OTBTs? Oh yes, a HUGE check. You might swear that you will never wear a pair, but once you try them on, you'll understand the hype.

1a. It is necessary to have a good pair of tennis shoes for every day those days when you have to sprint to class.

2. Big t-shirts are for more than just hiding your Chipotle food babies.
Did I wake up like this ( flawless 💁)? Did I just go to the gym? Was I wearing this yesterday? The world may never know. It may be one hundred degrees outside, but my xl t-shirt doesn't let the sweat stains show.

2a. You will spend too much money on t-shirts.
JNJ will slowly drain your bank account..but hey, at least you can put off doing laundry for another week...

3. The more 90's, the better. 
Go through your old clothes from childhood because scrunchies, flannels, and converse are back in action. And all I can say is, I hope it stays that way.

4. Bralettes are a gift from heaven. 
Let's be real here. Who actually enjoys wearing a bra? No one, that's who. But for those of us who aren't about to 'free the nipple', bralettes let us feel rebellious without being scandalous.

5. Pearl chokers go with LITERALLY EVERYTHING. 
This is self-explanatory...

6. When in doubt (or have very little time), do a party pony.
No one will ever know how many days it has been since you last showered.

7. No matter what the weather is, sunglasses are always appropriate.
Your future may just be bright enough for you to wear shades or you may just be extremely hungover. Do not fret, it's in style.

And last but not least, 8. It's okay to dress like you're homeless. 
People don't care how you dress, they care who you are. It's about how you treat others and what you do with your life. A hair and makeup team is not required to go to class (although that would be nice).

Click here to find out about my recruitment experience!

No comments